Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Be A Dude: Is the Slogan Offensive?

Apparently, a writer from The Heights thinks so.   More liberal nonsense:

From The Heights:


Let me start by saying that I, like many, am a fan of Boston College football. I go to the games, I yell too loud, I sing along with the marching band, I do the cymbal thing on third down, I love it. Being an Eagle has always been one of my favorite parts of being at BC, and that isn’t going to change. But part of being a fan is calling out my team when they aren’t doing a good job of representing me, and lately BC football deserves to be called out: the #BeADude mantra that trends on Twitter every Saturday and is plastered all over our promotional materials is offensive and should be removed. The slogan promotes a restrictive ideal of manhood and alienates the many women who love football as much as their male peers. #BeADude makes us look immature and frat-y, so it’s time to pick a new slogan. Asked by ESPN to explain what it means, Addazio said, “be a dude, and what being a dude is, is being a baller. You know? Just being a real baller. Just being a dude. Be great. Be a baller. Be great at what you are. Just don’t be average.”
 
Think about what BC football is saying. They’re drawing a line, with “dudes” on one side, and everyone else on the other and claiming for themselves the authority to determine which side of the line you fall on. In so doing, they’re simply perpetuating the narrow stereotype of machismo-laden masculinity that plagues our society, creating an in-group and an “other” group. We live in a society that encourages men to be aggressive and unfeeling while discouraging them from being emotional and vulnerable. Sports are manly, so they’re acceptable. I’m not saying that BC football is creating or even intentionally promoting this unbelievably restrictive standard of masculinity, but they’re certainly participating in a broken culture that fails to give many men space to express their gender identity comfortably. If you want to say something to your team, fine. But what message does it send to other students, not to mention young boys who idolize BC athletes, to equate being a “dude” with being a big, tough football player? I know some great dudes who sing opera or paint or do math. And they’re just as manly as the dudes I know who play football.

No comments:

Post a Comment